CBSE Class 8/9/10 - English - Writing A Biographical Sketch (#cbseNotes)

Write A Biographical Sketch

English Writing Skills

CBSE Class 8/9/10 - English - Writing A Biographical Sketch (#cbseNotes)

A biographical sketch or bio-sketch is a brief summary of a person's life achievements. It includes professional, educational accomplishments, publications and affiliations that highlight important aspects of his experiences, training etc.

While writing the bio-sketch,

  • It should be written in third form.
  • It should outline important events of person's life including experiences, competencies and interests.
  • Special awards and recognitions be mentioned.
  • Emphasize on portraying a person in an admirable manner

An Example of Biographical Sketch Format

  •  Name and age
  •  Main personality traits
  •  Special interests
  •  Education and training
  •  Special contribution or research, if any
  •  Why people like him/her

Question: On the basis of the information provided in the box below, write a short bio-sketch of Abraham Lincoln.

Born: 1809 in Northern Kentucky

Family: Father- wealthy farmer, lost his land when Lincoln was 7, moved to Indiana
Mother- died when he was nine, family moved to Illinois soon after

Education: Little formal education, loved to read. Studied law by reading law books- became a
lawyer in 1837, Springfield, Illinois

Political Career: began early- served in State Legislature, in the U.S. House of Representatives. Gifted Speaker, speeches against slavery, nomination for Presidency- won in 1860. Re elected in 1864

Death: assassinated by John Wilks Booth on April 15, 1865. Remembered for wisdom, compassion, patriotism


Answer:
In 1809, Abraham Lincoln was born to a wealthy farmer family in Northern Kentucky. When he was 7 years old, his father lost his farming land and the family moved to Indiana. At the age of nine years old, after his mother passed away, his family moved to Illinois for livelihood.  Abraham had little formal education, but had a strong interest in books and learning. He studied law books as his own and started his career as lawyer in 1837, Springfield, Illinois. He soon moved into politics and served in State Legislature, in the U.S. House of Representatives. He was a talented orator. In his speeches, he talked about abolition of slavery. Finally he was nominated and became the president in 1860. In 1864 he was re-elected as president. He was shot by John Wilks Booth on April 15, 1865. Abraham Lincoln is often remembered for his wisdom, compassion and patriotism that led led him to the nation's highest office.

Question: On the basis of information given below, write the bio-sketch of Mahatama Gandhi.


Oct 2, 1869 : Born at Porbanadar, to Karamchand and Putlibai

1888-1893 : Completed studies in England.
Went to South Africa to practice law. Suffered discrimination there.
Started nonviolent civil disobedience for civil rights of Indian community.

1914-1915 : Left South Africa and came back to India.

1915-1947 : Worked very hard through Satyagraha, civil disobedience, fasts, marches, movements and jail sentences to free India from the British.

Jan 30, 1948   : He was shot dead by Nathuram Godse at Birla House.

Answer:

Mahatma Gandhi was born on Oct 2, 1869 to Karamchand and Putlibai at Porbandar. After completing his studies in England, he went to South Africa. When he suffered discrimination, he started civil disobedience for civil rights of Indian community. Around 1915, he came back to India. He started Satyagraha, civil disobedience, fasts, marches, movements and was senetenced many a times. His efforts helped India gain freedom from the British. In 1948, a mad man named Nathuram Godse assasinated him outside Birla House.

Comments

  1. Ya it also helped me for practicing for biographical sketch . i love it .
    gggoooooooddddddddddd

    ReplyDelete
  2. YA !! thank u helped me a lot !! (o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. You dont have guts to talk to someone stupid you think that by doing that you look cool but actually you look super stupid people like you are just a bacteria what do you think that you are supreame idiot hurting peoples feelings...... you said b**** to the writer but the thing is you think it was
      bad but if it was bad then why did you abuse them you dont have guts only you cannot even write like that stupid now get lost .

      Delete
    2. Fuck of
      This helped me a lot

      Delete
    3. There is no gain in fighting so just be what you want to be and it's not imp. that the f word will make you look cool so yh

      Delete
    4. THX SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, MY ENGLSIH EXAM IS COMING IN DAYS PLS PRAYER FOR ME THAT EXAM SHOULD BE EASY _ GOODBYE

      Delete
  4. More informative than any other sites I could find

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was very good and helped a lot

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thnk u this is my chachu's id bt I needed so I 'll use this helps me alot thnk u so much thank u ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really good and helpful to me thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks,It is really helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you this will help me in my exams

    ReplyDelete
  10. good for our increase
    knowledge

    ReplyDelete
  11. It helped me a lot in finishing my hhw😅

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty nice and proved really helpful for my exams.......keep posting such questions along with the answers. Good work !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you very much for helping 😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. It's a good site and don't use these word

      Delete
    2. Very good 👍 for lesrnlea keep it up

      Delete
  15. Thanks I forget how to write up remember me

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice I can prepare for exam from this site

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D good morning gamers its me pewdiepie yes its me felix keep calm and play minecraft

      Delete
  17. Thankx. It helped me a lot for making questions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It helped me in my exam time. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It helped me alot in my exams. Thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really good,you provided lots of good information .☺👌

    ReplyDelete
  21. Really good , helped me a lot
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for lots of information 😀😁

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanku very much for helping me out for the hhw... It was really useful....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Usefull to me my teacher use this

    ReplyDelete
  25. A very useful practice for me

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bada hai chalega ( ´◡‿ゝ◡`)

    ReplyDelete
  27. 🥰😉😊🙃😊😋😍😛🥰😋🥰😋😍☺️🤣☺️😂☺️😂😘😂😘😅😙😆😗😆🙃🥰☺️😍😋😍😊🤩😊😍😚😊🙂😘🤗😁😙😆😚😂☺️😊🤩😛😍😋😝🙃🤨😘🙂😟😔🥺😣😟😏😕😒😏😜😒🤪😟😛😕😛😕😝🥺😜🥺😝😕😛🧐😋🧐🥰😒🤪😰😟😨😯😳😖😳😳🥺

    ReplyDelete
  28. The real benefit of internet are educational sites like these. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is very helpful for my exams
    THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  30. It is really very helpful...😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  31. ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一⌐╦╦═─o==[]::::::::::::::::>nice

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a nice Biographical Sketch .
    It helped me to practice for my Grammar Exams..
    Tnxxxx😄

    ReplyDelete
  33. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very useful and helped me a lot in my exams thanku very much.......................😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  35. I will give Abraham Lincoln one 9 out of 10
    Excellently done

    ReplyDelete
  36. thank u a lot it really........ helped me i wish your site gets millions of followers and site is also awesome😃😃😃

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you very much ! This was very helpful to me . I have exams tomorrow and when I referred to this biosketch I found it very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yes, I understood biographical sketch very easily and in better way👌

    ReplyDelete
  39. Good this helps me to study and make understand well

    ReplyDelete
  40. 8th student how to write bio-data

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment